The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak of a new Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), a public health emergency of International Concern in January 2020 and after assessing this outbreak, in March 2020, WHO characterized COVID-19 as a pandemic. The crisis is generating mental health issues such as stress and anxiety throughout the population.
The best school in Panchkula, Hallmark Public School is sharing eight considerations on mental and psychosocial well-being during this outbreak.
- COVID-19 has affected people of many countries, and when referring to people with COVID-19, please do not attach the disease to any particular ethnicity or nationality. Be empathetic, show compassion, and kindness as they have not done anything wrong, and they deserve our support.
- Minimize watching, reading or listening to the news about COVID-19 that makes you feel anxious or distressed. Instead, seek information from trusted sources only so that you can take practical steps to protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Find opportunities to spread positivity by sharing positive and helpful stories of the people who experienced COVID-19 and got recovered. Be supportive of others and protect yourself.
- Use the right ways to share information with others, especially with people who are intellectually, or psychosocially challenged.
- Help children find positive ways to express fear or sadness by engaging them in creative activities such as playing or drawing. Children feel relieved when they can express and communicate their feelings.
- Keep children close to their parents and loved ones. Maintain or create new routines that include age-appropriate learning activities.
- During times of stress, pay attention to your feelings and engage in healthy activities such as exercising, meditation, and yoga.
- Share simple facts or information, and involve family members in practicing prevention measures (such as hand washing, etc.). Also, reassure them that if we take preventive measures, we will be safe and protected.
One of the top schools in Panchkula, Hallmark Public School ensures that people feel safe, protected and take care of their health mentally as much as physically.